Best Charcoal Grills 2020 – Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
Grilling is one of the most loved dining trends of cooking across the whole world. Grilled foods are most desired to many people in different areas of the world. Grilled meat is always delicious and surely a meal to look forward to.
Charcoal grills are used widely into grill food community. Your best charcoal grill will ensure you are going to have a grilled meal is like no other. A charcoal grill is easy to operate, and it cooks very fast.
Charcoal grills have been around for decades. They have seen great improvements over the years though! Today’s charcoal grills are very effective and they are working efficiently. They preserve heat for longer to cook well while saving energy.
You will find many types of charcoal grills available in the market. Getting the best charcoal grill is not an easier task among the many of others. When you pay for a charcoal grill, you need one that could fit your comfort choice.
You might be wondering, what is the best charcoal grill on the market? You don’t need to worry at all. We did a lot of research to compile one of the charcoal grills reviews 2020 for you to make an easier selection.
This is a review of various charcoal grills that we have enlisted here. The review will help you in making an informed decision next time you go for a charcoal grill.
After reading this article, you will be able to get the best charcoal grill under your decided budget. To have budget friendly Grill you may also read Best BBQ Grills under $500
First, below have a glance of the various charcoal grills featured in the review
- Weber 741001 Original Kettle 22-Inch Charcoal Grill
- Louisiana Grills 61240 Kamado BBQ Ceramic Grill
- Broil King 911470 Keg 5000 Kamado, Grill
- Char-Griller E56720 AKORN Kamado Charcoal Grill
- Dyna-Glo DGN576DNC-D Premium Charcoal Grill
- Dyna-Glo DGN576SNC-D Dual Zone Premium Charcoal Grill
- 18-1/2 in. Classic Pit Barrel Cooker Package
- Primo Ceramic Charcoal Smoker Grill
- PK Grills PK Original Outdoor Charcoal Portable Grill
- Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
1. Weber 741001 Original Kettle 22-Inch Charcoal Grill
Following are the features of the Weber Charcoal grill
- You will find this grill larger
- It will hold 15 burgers at a time
- Cleanliness is not a problem at all, you will need to press only 1 button and it will work
- By pressing 1 button, you will get hassle-free ash cleanup
- You will get the porcelain-enameled lid
Pros and Cons of the Weber Charcoal grill
- Bowel retain heat
- The lid hook will help you to avoid burning while grilling your food
- Its dampers are designed to control the temperature of the inside the grill
- This grill is made with the durable plated steel material
- This durable plated steel material retains heat
- Its heat-retaining quality makes its cleanliness easier
- This charcoal grilling product is not powered back by the warranty offered
- No returning details are mentioned
2. Louisiana Grills 61240 Kamado BBQ Ceramic Grill
Following are the features of the Louisiana charcoal grill
- This charcoal grill is prepared heavy ceramic
- The Kamado environment is ideal for it to get proper heat to cook food
- In this environment, the charcoal will burn efficiently
- You will get it with stainless iron top
- Its stainless iron top will help in maintaining the airflow
Pros and Cons of the Louisiana grill
- This Charcoal grill is designed with the heavy bamboo side shelves
- Its top temper gives an appropriate airflow
- The airflow sets the perfect cooking temperature
- You will be able to fold down the side shelves, these are sturdy enough
- Its folding down feature makes the storage easy
- Dual tire cooking grate provides more even encapsulated heat
- Warranty and returning details are not mentioned on the product site
3. Broil King 911470 Keg 5000 Kamado, Grill
The Broil King Kamado charcoal grill is available in the following two sizes
- Style 2000
- Style 5000
Following are the features of the Broil King grill
Durability and performance
- This grill is designed with insulated double-walled steel material
- Its steel grill body retains heat
- The insulated steel moisture it more efficiently than a ceramic grill
- In this grill, the food will not absorb the moisture and odor too like a ceramic grill
Cook more efficiently, use less charcoal
- It will allow you to spend more time on food and less on fuel
Quick and easy clean-up
- This grill is designed with a removable ash catcher
- This removable ash catcher makes the cleanliness easier
- Its removable ash catcher is a different feature unlike other charcoal grills
- Other grills are needed to scrape them out
- 10 years warranty is issued on the body of the grill
- 10 years warranty is its big plus
- Rest of the parts are powered by the 2 years warranty
- Be confident while grilling food for your whole family, it will work perfectly
Pros and Cons of the Broil King Charcoal grill
- Insulated steel design
- Cast Iron top damper
- Aluminum lower damper
- Not able to move quickly between the high and low heat
- Once you keep it at high temperature, it’s difficult to bring on low heat
- Difficult to obtain searing due to distance from coals and grates
4. Char-Griller E56720 AKORN Kamado Charcoal Grill
The Char-Griller charcoal grill is available in the following colors
Following are the feature of the Char-Griller
- With this grill, you will generate more heat by using less charcoal
- Its design will generate less airflow
- It means, it will bring insulated heat for the juicy meat
- Its cooking surface is made with the cast iron
- You will find its outer finished with powder-coated steel
- Its interior finishing is done with the proclaim coated steal
Pros and Cons of the Char-Griller
- Its body is constructed with 22 gauge steel
- You will find the locking caster on the front
- Its indexed damper is numbered
- With the help of numbers, you will be able to note the position of a damper
- You will also get the locking lid
- This grill is also designed with 2 folding black side shelves
- This grill will facilitate you with an easy dump ash pan
- Double-walled insulation
- There is also a heat gauge
- No warranty details
- No returning details
5. Dyna-Glo DGN576DNC-D Premium Charcoal Grill
The Dyna-Glo charcoal grill is designed in the following styles
- Premium grill style
- Premium grill + cover style
Following are the features of the Dyna-Glo charcoal grill
- Its primary cooking are is of 576 square inches
- This grill has the secondary cooking area of 240 inches
- Overall, total is of 816 square inches
- You will be able to protect your grill with the cover
Pros and Cons of the Dyna-Glo charcoal grill
- Cooking surface is wider
- Removable cover
- Available in 2 different styles
- Made with a solid material
- There are 2 cooking areas like primary and secondary
- You will be able to set the different temperatures according to your preferences
- This grill is designed with a heavy-duty surface
- You will get cast-iron and the steel doors
- Steel doors are an easier way to access for stoking the coals
- It will allow you to add briquettes during cooking
- Details about its warranty and returning policy are not given on the product site
6. Dyna-Glo DGN576SNC-D Dual Zone Premium Charcoal Grill
The Dyna-Glo dual-zone premium grill is manufactured in the following styles
- Grill + Cover style
- Premium grill style
Following are the features of the Dyna-Glo dual-zone grill
- You will get the removable firebox for both single and dual cooking zone
- Its primary cooking area is 576 inches square
- Its total cooking area is of 816 square inches
- Its secondary cooking area is designed with the cooking surface of 240 square inches
- It will allow you to protect your grill with a custom fit cover
Pros and Cons of the Dyna-Glo dual-zone grill
- It will perform like a perfect multi-tasking grill
- You will get it designed with a heavy-duty surface
- It will allow you to add briquettes while grilling your food
- It is designed with the double coal lifting system
- You will love its chimney stake feature
- As collection tray is also available with it
- You will find the dual vents on the side too
- There are easy to follow instructions along with the product
- Its coal basket space is bit larger
7. Classic Pit Barrel Cooker Package
Following are the features of the Classic Pit Barrel
- This charcoal grill is designed with 8 stainless steel hooks
- You will get a standard grate for grilling your food and searing
- Coal basket is also available along with the grill
- This basket is sized as to add up the appropriate amount of coals into it
- Minimal assembling is required to start grilling food with it
- Its unique design makes it simple to operate
- You will find impressive results with minimal hassle
- A hook remover tool is also available for accommodating with its hooks
Pros and Cons of the Classic Pit Barrel cooker grill
- Unique design
- 8 different hooks
- Separate coal basket
- Minimal assembly before using
- Hanging rods
- Stainless steel material
- Standard grill grate
- Its barrel depth is not ideal
8. Primo Ceramic Charcoal Smoker Grill
Following are the features of the Primo Ceramic Charcoal smoker grill
- This grill is featured as the Kamado grill
- This grill is designed in the premium ceramic construction style
- This style makes its design durable and consistent performance
- With its unique design, you will be able to try multiple cooking methods
- You will also get a steel cart within 2 piece
Pros and Cons of the Premium Ceramic Charcoal smoker grill
- This grill is designed with stainless steel side tables
- A net style drip tray is fixed at the bottom of the table
- Food will be properly grilled with consistent heat
- Its design is durable
- No proper details are given about the product
- No warranty and returning details are given
9. PK Grills PK Original Outdoor Charcoal Portable Grill
The PK charcoal grill is available in the following colors
The PK charcoal grill is designed in the following styles
- The Standard style
- The stainless steel Grid style
Following are the features of the PK charcoal grill
A charcoal grill and smoker
- This charcoal grill is designed in unique capsule shape
- Its 4 vents make the grilling easy
- It allows you to change the temperature in hot and fast, low or slow
- You will find it constructed in Aluminum material
- The Aluminum material is rustproof and durable
- It conducts heat 4 times higher in temperature
- It works more efficiently than the stainless steel charcoal grill
Pros and Cons of the Charcoal grill
- Buy with the confidence of 10 years warranty
- Works as a portable smoker grill
- You will find the 300 square inches cooking surface
- Dual-zone cooking system
- No warranty and returning details
10. Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
The Dyna-Glo charcoal offset smoker grill is available in the following styles
- Standard + Cover style
- Wider + Cover style
- Standard style
- Wide style
Following are the features of the Dyna-Glo offset smoker grill
- This grill is made with heavy gauged enameled steel wood
- 784 square inches is the total smoking area
- It will smoke up 100LBs of food at a time
Pros and Cons of the Dyna-Glo offset smoker grill
- Its dual door design minimizes the heat loss
- High Temp powder coat finishing makes it durable and long-lasting
- You will get a cover to protect your smoker grill
- It’s charcoal chamber increases the burn efficiency
- Its purchasing policy is not mentioned
All these grills are best in working performance. You will enjoy a lot with all these grills. So, feel free to get any of these above-enlisted charcoal grills. You could prefer size, durability, and style while purchasing.
Before narrowing down to any particular choice of the charcoal smoker, there are a few factors you are supposed to consider.
These factors are given in the following
Cooking Space in a charcoal grill
Cooking space in a charcoal grill is an important factor to note down while selecting a perfect one. You have noticed that the grills are designed in different sizes and have different cooking space portions.
You will determine the cooking space of a charcoal grill by determining the number of people whom you want to feed most. If you need a grill for using it to serve many people then you will surely need a grill in the larger size.
A small sized grill will be enough for you if you are only 2 or three persons in family-like husband, wife and a toddler. On the other hand, if you will be serving one or two people, a grill with just a small space will do the trick. More cooking space is always desirable though!
Energy Efficiency of a grill
While buying a charcoal grill, you need a grill that can use the charcoal efficiently. Without efficient working of a charcoal grill, you will not be able to use it. Energy is always an expensive source of heat; therefore, it needs to be preserved.
There should be a heat controlling system. As such, ensure the grill you get has a way of conserving heat, and the burning levels of the charcoal are controllable to avoid energy wastage.
Safety while using the grill
Grilling your food is just fun. The thought of eating a juicy meal afterward is even more fun. However, your safety is significant too.
These grills usually get very hot that’s why you need to protect yourself from burning sensations. You need to ensure you stay safe. An insulated grill is always very desirable to everyone. So, ensure your chances of getting burned are minimized as much as possible.
What’s the great thing about the charcoal grills?
Besides the charcoal grills, you know very well about the gas or electric grills. Simply switch on a gas grill or an electric grill is so easier, right?
But one thing is pleasing about the charcoal grills that their dry heat sears the juicy meats faster. You will get quickly a high cooking temperature by using the charcoal grill. Because charcoal is pure carbon and you will get it with a crazy hot flame.
Along with the quick and hottest flame, you will get the meat cooked with delicious drippy fats. Secondly, oil, extra meat fats, and sugars will make the flame more searing.
If you will take a note of the price section then you will find the charcoal grills less pricy then the gas and electric grills. Moreover, these charcoal grills are highly portable and quite easier to put them in your car.
So easily put them in your car and bring them to the beach and enjoy a lot with friends.
Do you know any downside of charcoal grills?
In this section of the buyers’ guide, we will discuss out the following points
The learning curve with a charcoal grill
You set up the charcoal grill until you vent it up or you lighting it up until you cook or grill the food, there several things to learn. Learning its steps is just fun. Grilling your food with a charcoal grill is not an easier task but enjoyable too.
Grill your food is not like fix-it and forget-it. There are a lot of people who have mastery skills in getting a good flame but its learning is a gradual process.
Things could go die-hard with a charcoal grill. So, it’s difficult to do well in maintaining well the timing grilling and smoke without creating a lot of mess.
Fire management skills of a charcoal griller
Unlike the larger propane tank under a gas grill, the charcoal is made with the combustible material. It has a quality of being burnt, expire and it needs to arrange again and again.
While using a charcoal grill, you need to adjust the coals for maintaining the balanced temperature for grilling the meat.
Patience is required throughout the whole time of grilling
The gas and the charcoal grill both are good in grilling a tastier food. If you have little kids to feed them with grilled food then a gas grill could be more suitable to you,
On the other hand, if you have a long afternoon ahead you and you have enough time to enjoy ten picks the charcoal grill.
With a charcoal grill, you will have delicious smoky and juicy stakes. Before going to buy a charcoal grill, just have a glance on your habits then decide which option is better for you.
If you are a chill person and have the patience to noodle a couple of hours then charcoal grill will amuse your more in your pleasure times.
Charcoal grilling could messy and dirty
Handling charcoal is actually a dirty process and the ash is messy and dusty. So, that’s why its cleanliness takes time. If you don’t want to serve several hours on its cleanliness then don’t buy this one.
Its mess and dust will irritate you.
Things to consider when buying a charcoal grill
Reading this article and land on the right section. Here, you will get the discussion on the things which are really important to consider before you go to buy a charcoal grill.
- Quality of a grill plays an essential role
- Easiness in maintaining it well and its easier cleanliness
- Easier assembling and disassembling options
- Overall easier use of all parts of grill
- Durability is another option to consider
- Get the complete details about the accessories and the additional features
- Must note down the warranty and customer service
- Find the easier options of temperature control and stability
The reviews and buying guide above will help you narrow down to your best-suited charcoal grill. Shopping for the best charcoal grill will be no longer like such a formidable task.